Thursday, August 2, 2012

God's Little Reminders

It appeared in my Inbox. A picture of a knight clad in armor and a devotion came to my email yesterday. I had posted the devotion about six months ago. But I had no idea my blog was going to send it to my subscribers and myself a second time. I'm glad it did. I needed to read it again. You see, I am making the final edits on my first book, and I've set a deadline for myself that I wondered if I could keep. The book has been waiting a while for me to finish it. I thought it was nearly finished some time ago, but when God impresses on your heart that you need to do something, you can't let go of it. Not until it's done.

So yesterday, I think God sent me an email, a reminder that He can give the victory, that He can enable us to do whatever it is He has called us to do. In Christ, we are more than conquerors as Romans 8:37 reassures us. If I needed to hear this again, maybe it will speak to you, too. With Jesus' help, we can gain a surpassing victory!

“Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us” (Rom 8:37 NKJV).

The list is formidable. Those things that try to stop us or hinder our forward progress in life are forbidding—tribulation, distress, persecution, death, angels and principalities and powers, things present or to come, height and depth. Romans Chapter 8 tells us that none of these things can separate us from God’s love. They may try to harass us, slow us down, or stop us, but they are nothing compared to the awesome power and love of our God.

You are more than a conqueror. In Christ, we are more than conquerors when we follow Christ’s leadership and stay under His protection and blessing. In Romans 8:37, “more than conquerors” means “to gain a surpassing victory,”1 implying an “unusually excellent”2 victory. In Christ, a surpassing victory is possible because He has won the ultimate victory and possesses ultimate power. Jesus broke Satan’s power over us on the cross (Heb 2:14), and Satan’s power is restrained in the world today (2 Thess 2:7). One day Christ will render Satan powerless forever (Rev 20:10). He also defeats enemies like anger, fear, and selfishness, and gives us victory over struggles and temptations. However great the trial is that we face at the moment, Christ’s victory and power are greater. Through Him we rise above persecution, heartaches, sicknesses, struggles, and other burdens, so that they don’t control us because we know God controls all things. Burdens and problems don’t have to be what defines us and sets the tone of our lives. God and His victory can.
When you face something that seems overwhelming, remember where the surpassing victory is found—in a union and partnership with Christ. He fights for us, and enables us to do our part to win the victory, even if it has to be won every day. In Him, we defeat those things that plague us, and we have a Champion who is always by our side.




1Larry Pierce, The Online Bible, CD-ROM (Winterbourne, Ontario: Larry Pierce, 2007), Romans 8:37.
2Webster’s New World College Dictionary,  4th ed. (Cleveland, Ohio: Wiley Publishing, Inc., 2008), 1441.

No comments:

Post a Comment