Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Perfect Song

I am looking for the perfect song.

I’ve heard some beautiful music in my lifetime. I grew up at a church that had glorious music—timeless hymns, contemporary praise choruses, and stunning choral arrangements. Every Christmas, we’d put on a Christmas pageant that included hundreds of volunteers and amazing songs like “The Hallelujah Chorus” and “Mary, Did You Know?”. Every Easter, trumpeters standing in the balcony would echo each other’s notes, as the choir and orchestra celebrated Christ’s resurrection with music fit for heaven.  
The songs that I heard nearly twenty years ago, I still sing today.  I love to sing them when I’m cooking dinner, driving down the road, or drying my hair (when no one can hear me). But when I really focus on God and think about what He has done for me, especially over this past year, no songs come to mind. No words. I’m speechless. I know plenty of songs that exalt God’s name, His character, and His ways, and some come close to being the song that I need. Yet, I still can’t think of a song that reflects the fullness of my gratefulness.

Then it dawned on me. If I wanted to praise God with the perfect song, it would be the melody of a life dedicated to Him. It would be living every day, meditating on His word, heeding His instruction, and walking in His ways. It would be loving Him with all that I am and helping others to know Him, so they can love Him, too. Perhaps the perfect song God wants is the day-to-day music we create with our lives. Then the expression of our love and gratefulness will find its way into every action we take and every word we say. And of course, He loves to hear our praises as we sing and play with thankful hearts.

What do you think is the best way that we can praise God? Is there a song that you love to sing which captures your gratefulness to Him? Whatever form our “song” takes, let’s always be mindful of the love and the glory of God, and praise Him with all that we are! As one of my favorite verses says, “Give unto the LORD the glory due to His name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness” (Psalm 29:2 NKJV).

No comments:

Post a Comment