Saturday, April 14, 2012

Psalms: God is Personal

What I love the most about Psalms is that it showed me God is a personal God. He didn’t make all things and then leave us to fend for ourselves. He is real, He is involved in our lives, and He loves us with a deep, abiding love. Whatever David and the other psalmists needed, God was there for them—whether it was protection, mercy, wisdom, or justice. God cared about what they were going through and intervened on their behalf. He is a personal God, the one and only personal God. And He is still personal today.

I found that the Psalms themselves were beautiful, in how they were written and how they talked about God. But they became even more precious to me when I experienced God in those ways. When He rescued me from enemies of fear, anxiety, and hopelessness. When He "held" me close when all I could do was cry. When He gave joy for sorrow, healing for hurts, and peace for restlessness. He has been exactly what I’ve needed again and again. He has given me adventures to share with Him and opportunities to tell others about Him. I am so grateful.

How is God real and personal in our lives? Here are some of the passages that have spoken the most to me. I hope that in your daily life you see God doing some of these things—rescuing you, teaching you, protecting you, strengthening you, and filling your heart with His joy and peace.

“I waited patiently for the LORD; and He inclined to me, and heard my cry. He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my steps” (Psalm 40:1-2 NKJV).*

“Teach me Your way, O LORD; I will walk in Your truth; unite my heart to fear Your name” (Psalm 86:11).

“My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever” (Psalm 73:26).

“Trust in Him at all times, you people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us. Selah” (Psalm 62:8).

“I sought the LORD, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears” (Psalm 34:4).

“For You have delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, and my feet from falling” (Psalm 116:8).

“You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore” (Psalm 16:11).


*All Scripture quotations taken from the New King James Version. Copyright © 1979, 1980, 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment