Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Song in Your Head

Sometimes I just can’t get a song out of my head. Does it happen to you? I hear a song on the radio or TV, and it plays over and over in my mind. I take it with me everywhere I go. It sticks like glue to my brain. Then I go into a restaurant or store, and I hear a different song with a totally different beat. Sometimes the new music clashes so badly with the music in my head, it’s hard to keep singing the first song. The temptation is to turn loose of the song I came with, and conform to the music around me. If you were in that situation, which song would you hold onto?

God places a song in our hearts, but the world tempts us to conform to its rhythm. The beat of the world is totally contrary to the beat of God’s heart and mind. The world says, “Live for self.” God says, “Live to bless others” (Philippians 2:3-4). The world says, “You have to take care of yourself, because no one else will.” God says, “I will supply all your needs, and satisfy your heart” (Phil 4:19; Psalm 107:9). The world says, “It’s OK to step over people to get what you want.” God says, “Love each other as you love yourself, even as I have loved you” (Mark 12:31; John 13:34).

God’s song is always better than the world’s—His melody of love, peace, strength, endurance, and victory outshines the harsh and self-centered mantra of the world. The question is—which “song” will we hold onto? God’s music that satisfies us, heals us, strengthens us, and makes us useful to Him; or the world’s music that will only leave us empty and searching for true fulfillment? Whatever noise from the world you hear around you, keep God’s song in your head. Tune your heart to hear His melody, and let it direct your life into the good things He has for you. The world and its pursuits don’t compare with the love, freedom, and fulfillment we find in Christ. Keep singing His song!

“Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not him…and the world is passing away…but he who does the will of God abides forever” (1 John 2:15,17 NKJV).

No comments:

Post a Comment