Monday, January 16, 2012

God's Deliverance: Psalm 18:13,17



“The LORD thundered from heaven, and the Most High uttered His voice, hailstones and coals of fire … He delivered me from my strong enemy, from those who hated me, for they were too strong for me” (Psalm 18:13,17 NKJV).

When I was younger, I was afraid of thunderstorms. My cat was, too. When a severe thunderstorm hovered over our house, my cat would find me, and we would find my parents. Sam, my kitty, didn’t like the bright flashes of light and the thunderbolts that rocked the windows. He found security in being close to me. I always thought that was endearing.

My opinion of thunderstorms changed in my twenty’s. Instead of running from the windows, I watched the thunderstorm, usually at night time, and anticipated the lightning flashes. When they lit up the sky, I counted the seconds until the thunder sounded. When lightning and thunder cracked at the same time, I prayed. I always hoped the lightning wouldn’t hit anyone’s home or trees. The light show was captivating, and yet every time it was over, I was glad.

Thunderstorms can be fearsome, but there’s a thundering that brings relief and deliverance. In Psalm 18, David recounts how God saved him and delivered him from his enemies. He cried out to God when the “pangs of death” surrounded him and evil frightened him (Psalm 18:4 NKJV). The LORD heard his prayer, and the whole earth shook because God was angry (Psalm 18:6). God has a big “protection button.” He hears every prayer of His children, and knows everything that goes on in our lives. He sees, He cares, and He acts on our behalf.

“The LORD thundered from heaven” (Psalm 18:13 NKJV). He thundered to rescue one of His beloveds. God’s thundering was deliverance for David and havoc for his enemies. They were too strong for David to handle on his own. So the LORD scattered the enemy with “lightnings in abundance,” and He “vanquished them” (Psalm 18:14 NKJV). He defeated them. When enemies plague our soul, like fear, anger, pride, or selfishness, we can cry out to God, and He will deliver us. His work on our behalf is amazing, and He will do it, if we ask Him. To be rescued, we need to cry out to Him and turn to Him when we encounter things that are too difficult for us to handle on our own. And we don’t need to wait—we need to turn to God right away. He treasures us as His beloveds, and “descends from the heavens in majestic splendor” to help us (Deut 33:26 TLB). Nothing is too big for God to handle. I like it when He thunders.

More verses on God’s deliverance and protection: Deuteronomy 20:4; Exodus 14:14; 2 Samuel 22:18; Psalm 55:18; Psalm 17:8

No comments:

Post a Comment