Monday, December 26, 2011

Let My Words Be Few

“Do not be rash with your mouth, and let not your heart utter anything hastily before God. For God is in heaven, and you are on earth; therefore let your words be few” (Eccl 5:2 NKJV).

Have you ever heard the song “Let My Words Be Few” performed by Phillips, Craig, and Dean? This praise song is based on Ecclesiastes 5:2, and for the longest time I couldn’t relate to the idea of letting my words be few before God. I figured that the more words I used in my prayer times, the more God would know that I loved Him. I am a person of many words. I have written in so many spiritual journals over the years. They are stuffed in drawers in my room and in boxes in the attic. I could easily go on and on about a subject and share everything I know about it. Are you like that?

Then this year happened. Through a series of struggles and victories, I have reason to keep silent. This year has put me in awe, more than ever, of the greatness, faithfulness, and love of God. I have seen Him work in my life and in others’ lives in awe-inspiring ways. It seemed to me that everywhere I turned, God was there, with arms opened wide, truth to encourage my heart, and power to set things right when they needed to be. Now, in my quiet times with God, when I truly think about who He is and what He does on our behalf, I have no words. Just silence. And a love for Him that I hope grows every day.

The happy thing is, God delights in our praise. He inhabits the praises of His people (Psalm 22:3 KJV). We can tell Him in one sentence why we love Him, or we can spend all day thinking about who He is and thanking Him for it. Whether we pour out our hearts before Him as Psalm 62:8 encourages us to do, or just sit silent in His presence as Psalm 46:10 commands us, God delights in our praise. He desires that we walk with Him in fellowship and in prayer all day long (1 John 1:3; 1 Thess. 5:17). So I want to take the time on a regular basis to sit in His presence and just be in awe of Him, but I also want to spend the rest of my life writing about who He is, praising Him as a lifestyle, and helping the world to know the God whom we know, love, and serve. There’s no one like Him.

“Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted in the earth!” (Psalm 46:10 NKJV).

No comments:

Post a Comment