Monday, December 19, 2011

The Joy of a Christmas Song


I am not opposed to singing Christmas songs all year long. I love them. At any time of the year, you can find me singing or whistling a Christmas tune. There’s something about the joy of a Christmas song that finds a place in your heart and you can’t let it go even when the Christmas season is over.

Here’s a sample of my Christmas Playlist:
• O Holy Night – Point of Grace
• Jesus Saves – Travis Cottrell
• Breath of Heaven – Amy Grant
• White Christmas – Bing Crosby
• Don’t Save It All for Christmas Day – Avalon

Some songs that I sing come from the days when I was a part of my former church’s Christmas program. No matter how much time has passed, I still remember the words of those songs and what it felt like to be a part of a production involving hundreds of people, complete with an eleven-level Christmas tree for the choir to sing in, toy soldiers, puppets for the kids, beautiful costumes, flickering candles, and best of all, the story of Jesus coming to earth.

Those songs include:
• Mary, Did You Know?
• All is Well
• I Have Seen the Light
• The Hallelujah Chorus
• It is Finished
• Sleigh Ride

Christmas brings joy—the music, the lights, the parties and gatherings, and the Story. Our joy as believers stems from a Baby being born, a Promise coming true, and a Hope that arrived on that first Christmas. Because of Jesus, we can have joy all year long and we can experience His love for all eternity. So even though the Christmas music may have started before Thanksgiving this year, take a moment to really hear the words and let the joy sink in. When we know Jesus, the love and the joy are here to stay.

“You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore” (Psalm 16:11 NKJV).

No comments:

Post a Comment