Friday, December 16, 2011

Ducks in a Row

In honor of my great-grandmother’s 100th birthday, I’ve asked my mom to share a devotion that she wrote about her.

Guest Blogger: Beebe Kauffman

My grandfather was a very endearing man, but sometimes he (like many of us) could get into a huff. One bright day, my grandparents were working in the garden with their three small children. Something was said or done (no one remembered what it was), and my grandfather got miffed. So he stood up and said, “I’m leaving,” and started walking up the street away from their home.

A few moments later he looked back at the garden to see if his indignation had conveyed its proper effect, but the garden was empty. He was surprised to turn around and see my grandmother walking up the street behind him. Behind her, like little ducks in a single file row, came their three children. He asked Grandmother what she was doing, and she said, “If you’re leaving, I’m going with you.” The kids said the same thing. So they laughed, and everyone got hugs. They walked back down the hill together and continued their work in the garden. Surprise, warmth, and laughter made the world around Grandmother better that day (and every day). She trumped huffiness with love, a mindset that is captured in a poem that she knew by heart:
Outwitted
He drew a circle that shut me out—
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
But Love and I had the wit to win.
We drew a circle that took him in.
- Edwin Markham

Ephesians 4:32 says, “And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God in Christ forgave you” (NKJV).

Prayer: Father, help us to respond to those who are dearest to us from within a circle of love. Help us to understand and accommodate their daily ups and downs. Teach us to hold onto kindness and hold onto them at the same time. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment