Monday, January 17, 2011

Hang In There

Two and a half chapters in two weeks. I didn't think I was going to make it. Women of Faith held a contest for all attendees to submit a faith-based book to West Bow Press, a division of Thomas Nelson. Thousands and thousands of women attended Women of Faith conferences across America last year. The contest asked for women to share their story, something that would encourage other women. (Out of tens of thousands of women, I wonder just how many entered the contest!)

I wanted to submit a book that encouraged women to know God's purpose for their lives and to depend on Him to carry it out. This book has been a long time in coming, and I hoped to finish it by the deadline. My mom wanted to finish hers also. I didn't know if we could make it. I needed to write two and a half chapters in two weeks. It took some late nights and lots of prayer. We made it! God gave us the grace to keep writing and the words to say. Sometimes I just didn't know what to write, but He supplied the words, words I hope He uses to bless others.

Have you ever been there? You felt like giving up on something difficult, but God kept you going? If you're working hard on a project, whatever it is, and you don't think it's going to happen, hang in there. Just when we feel like giving up, God infuses us with His grace and helps us to keep going. He gives us His strength, wisdom, and joy to make it to the finish line. How has God helped you to keep going when you felt like quitting? What encouragement can you give others when the road gets hard and the task seems impossible?

Here is a poem I'd like to share that has helped me. Keep at it! Don't give up. God and His grace are with you.



Don't Quit


By Jill Wolf

Don't quit when the tide is lowest, for it's just about to turn.
Don't quit over doubts and questions, for there's something you may learn.
Don't quit when the night is darkest, for it's just a while 'til dawn.
Don't quit when you've run the farthest, for the race is almost won.
Don't quit when the hill is steepest, for your goal is almost nigh.
Don't quit for you're not a failure, until you fail to try.

2 comments:

  1. I can totally relate! But God has been little by little filling in the holes, leading me in my writing journey. He always supplies the right words at the right time.

    What book are you working on now? Is it fiction?
    I'm not sure when was the last time I gave you an update, but right now I'm in the process of editing my manuscript. It should be completed within a week though. I'm so excited! I still haven't decided wether or not to accept the contract. In the meantime, I've sent a query to literary agent Rachel Kent from Books and Such agency. I heard back from her a day after submitting, asking for a synopsis and the complete manuscript! I will be sending that to her next week. I'm not going to submit to any other agency until I hear a response.

    Are you going to Blue Ridge Mountain Christian Writer's Conference again this May? I definitely am! I cannot wait. My mom is also coming with me again, as well as my cousin (who is trying to pursue screen writing and wants to start doing fiction writing as well) and my aunt and their friend. I'm really looking forward to it. =)

    God bless,

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Tessa! Thanks for posting here. I'm putting the final touches on the 2 Timothy study. Not sure if I'll tackle fiction soon. I'll probably start another study on the book of Mark. It has a special theme to it.

    I hope things go well as you finish your manuscript! Let me know how things go with finding an agent, and may God lead you to just the right one.

    We're checking out the classes at the BRMCWC. There's another one, too, that looked interesting. I'll have to tell you more about it. I hope you and your family enjoy this year's conference.

    Keep in touch!
    Katy

    ReplyDelete