Monday, November 15, 2010

A Watercolor Sunset

I saw it last week, and I couldn't look away. God painted the most beautiful sunset, and I tried to take its picture. I captured only a blur since the car was moving. (I wasn't driving.) But the scenery I saw was a masterpiece.

The landscape reminded me of my grandmother's watercolor paintings. She painted a scene just like this one - black trees silhouetted against a palette of blue's and orange's. That evening's sunset added dark, dusty clouds to the picture.

The picture I managed to get looks like an artist took a charcoal pencil and quickly sketched some trees on top of the sunset. The image is a just a blur. When I try to imagine what my life will be like down the road, it's just a blur. I can guess what will happen, or worry about certain things. But when I worry, I lose peace. God sees clearly. When we pray about whatever it is that's troubling us and hold on to the promises in God's word, peace returns. Trusting God brings an inner calmness. His promises reassure us that He will take care of us as we look to Him and walk in His ways (Proverbs 3:5-6; Psalm 32:8; Proverbs 4:5-6).

God is the best Artist. He paints sunsets and sunrises. He designed the beauty of creation all around us. He designs the best plan for our lives, too. To give us "a future and a hope" (Jeremiah 29:11). He straightens out the crooked lines in our lives, and fills the picture of our lives with good things. He turns us from what will tear us down, and leads us on a path that will build us up. His pictures turn out better than I could ever have imagined. He's the best Artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment