Monday, November 1, 2010

Guitars & A Little Grace

When I was about nine years old, my grandmother told me she had a surprise Christmas present waiting for me. She wanted me to guess what it was, and said it was something having to do with my family legacy. I was amazed at how big the box was, and I tried to guess as much as I could. But I wasn't even close. It was a junior guitar.

When my dad was younger, he learned how to play the guitar. His parents bought him a lightning blue Fender, hollow body. He still has it, and now we play together. These days, my guitar is all grown-up, as big as I am. We jam to a CD that teaches the songs we sing at church.

The dream is coming true. I have wanted to learn to play the guitar for years. But as I play and my fingers are getting used to the pain, I find it hard to finish a song. Especially to find where does the coda tell you to go and what is that special "s" symbol and are we really supposed to play these chords seven times through? It takes some commitment and focus to play a whole song. And some patience. I'm just glad Dad and I are going through the learning process together.

You know, fingers can also get tired from typing up an article or manuscript. A hand can cramp up after hours of painting or hammering nails. But the things we do at our jobs, in service to God, or for enjoyment can have an eternal impact. When our hands get tired, and our hearts are worn out, that's when grace kicks in. My pastor said this week, "Grace is God's provision for your every need." Whatever the need is, we find it met in Christ. Grace for salvation, and grace for the everyday Christian life. God's grace never ends. It doesn't give out, because He doesn't.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post! Your blog is great.

    I've only learned a few chords on the guitar (and one song). I usually only play it once every now and then because you're right, it hurts too much! Speaking of, the other day, I had to stop writing because my hand was cramping so bad.

    This reminds me of a sermon my pastor preached one time. He talked about how Christians will have to get their "hands dirty" if we want to reach out to people. This may mean do things that are out of our comfort zone, things that may cause us pain. That's the cost we must go through, but it's all for the glory of God!

    Also, I wanted to let you know that I responded to your comment on my recent post (http://christiswrite.blogspot.com/2010/10/thursdays-thought-should-we-prepare.html).

    Thanks again for sharing this. =)

    God bless,

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tessa, thanks for writing here about guitars and making a difference. When it's time to go beyond my comfort zone to do something for someone else, I hope I'm up for it. But that can be scary. I still have some anxiety when I speak in front of people. But God is helping. I hope you get to learn some more songs, especially before Christmas comes. I hope to. And thank you for your comment on your blog. Take care!

    ReplyDelete